Available all operating days.*
*Excludes Wednesdays in July & August.
For pricing call Tickner’s Canoe
Paddle down the Middle Branch of the Moose River from Tickner’s dock in Old Forge to their private whistle stop, you and your boat travel back by train. Upon you return to the Thendara station, Tickner’s staff will meet you and bring you and your boats back to their shop where your journey began.
Reservations are required as there is limited space available.
Call Tickner’s for reservations at:
or visit their website at:
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Q: Does the train bring me back to the station?
- A: Yes, all trips are round trips, with the exception of the Bike & Rail trip. The Bike & Rail drops you off at a trailhead in Big Moose or at Carter Station where you can bike back to the station. The Canoe & Rail is a one way trip, paddle down the Moose River and take the train one way back to the station. Tickner's will pick you up and bring you to your starting point!
- Q: Does the train have restrooms?
- A: Yes, the train and station both have restrooms. Restrooms on the train may not be handicapped accessible.
- Q: Is the train wheelchair-accessible?
- A: Yes. If you are bringing a wheelchair, we request that you come in a standard size wheelchair (not a large scooter) and that you notify us of any special travel needs when you make your reservations. Please arrive half an hour prior to train departure to allow extra time for boarding.
- Q: Does the train sell food on board?
- A: Yes, there is a cafe car on board. All trains going to Big Moose do stop at the Big Moose Station restaurant.
- Q: Do you sell food at the station?
- A: No. Although the station sells bottles of water and candy bars, the gift shop primarily carries Adirondack Railroad souvenirs and toys.
- Q: Do you still run if it is raining?
- A: Yes, the train does run in the rain and all cars, including the open air car, are covered.
- Q: Can I bring alcohol on the train?
- A: No, sorry but we do sell beer and wine our of our cafe car.
- Q: Do you an ATM?
- A: No, there is no ATM at the station. Both our gift shop and ticket window are able to accept credit and debit cards.