May 26 - June 30
Saturdays & Sundays
July 3 - September 1
Wed. to Carter Station, 10:00am
Thurs. to Carter and Big Moose, 9:30am
Fri. to Carter and Big Moose, 9:30am
Sat. to Carter and Big Moose, 12:00pm
Sun. to Carter and Big Moose, 9:30am
Please purchase tickets day of train at Thendara Station.
What a better way to explore the Adirondack forest than on a mountain bike!? Let the Adirondack Scenic Railroad help you discover the beauty of the Old Forge area by transporting you to Carter Station, six rail miles north of Thendara or Big Moose, 12 miles north of Thendara. We will drop you and your bike off so you can explore the many trails as you make your way back to Thendara. Enjoy lakes and ponds, wildlife and marvel at the quiet that surrounds you.
You can bring your own bike or rent one locally. Bike rentals are available from:
Mountainman AOC (315-369-2300) or Pedals & Petals (315-357-3281)
We recommend bringing along a bug repellant of your choice. Be safe and always have water and a cell phone in case of emergency. Bicycle riding and trail use is done at your own risk. Please wear a helmet.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Q: Does the train bring me back to the station?
- A: Yes, all trips are round trips, with the exception of the Bike & Rail trip. The Bike & Rail drops you off at a trailhead in Big Moose or at Carter Station where you can bike back to the station.
- Q: Does the train have restrooms?
- A: Yes, the train and station both have restrooms. Restrooms on the train may not be handicapped accessible.
- Q: Is the train wheelchair-accessible?
- A: Yes. If you are bringing a wheelchair, we request that you come in a standard size wheelchair (not a large scooter) and that you notify us of any special travel needs when you make your reservations. Please arrive half an hour prior to train departure to allow extra time for boarding.
- Q: Does the train sell food on board?
- A: No, the train does not sell food on board. All trains going to Big Moose Lake do stop at the Big Moose Station for lunch.
- Q: Do you sell food at the station?
- A: No. Although the station sells bottles of water and candy bars, the gift shop primarily carries Adirondack Railroad souvenirs and toys.
- Q: Do you still run if it is raining?
- A: Yes, the train does run in the rain and all cars, including the open air car, are covered.
- Q: Can I bring alcohol on the train?
- A: No, sorry.
- Q: Do you an ATM?
- A: No, there is no ATM at the station. Both our gift shop and ticket window are able to accept credit and debit cards.